I feel like I have lured manners out of him over and over and over and over for the past year or more. We started out signing Please and Thank You (which we still do) but Clinton is also saying them and not always because I'm asking him to say it, but because he knows that's just part of the deal!
I now hear a lot of "Mont, peas" (Milk, please) or "Ish, peas" (Goldfish, please) or "Chox, peas" (Chocolate, please) or "Hup, peas" (Help, please). Or sometimes he just starts screaming "PEAS" at me as if I can read his mind about what he wants. That's always fun.
Clinton was learning how to blow kisses about the same time he was learning to sign "Thank you". Since they look very similar, "Thank you" just became blowing a kiss. I will miss this as he has learned to say "Thank you". Although, not many people understand what he's saying when he says, "Gumps". I think it's a version of "Thanks", best I can tell. Now, without prompting him, I hear a lot of "Gumps" whenever I give him something. I also hear a lot of "No, gumps" in response to a question.
Don't get me wrong, I still have to prompt him from time to time so he can remember his manners, but things are definitely starting to stick with this kid!
Next task: "Yes, ma'am" and "No, ma'am". (And sir.) I love some good Southern manners on a kid!
Brushing up on my own manners,

No comments:
Post a Comment