Wednesday, June 10, 2009

Making Memories

I find myself occasionally feeling sorry for myself and not for good reason. I knew when we decided to have kids that we had already agreed our children would never step foot in a daycare (we're not against them, we just didn't want our kids in them). This meant that since I made WAY less money than Rodney, I would be the one putting my career on hold. I continued to work part-time from home without childcare after Clinton was born. After 15 months of no sleep, we decided I needed to do something else. I LOVED my job and was so looking forward to the opportunities that lay ahead with it. However, being as sleep deprived as I was, I wasn't doing anyone any good. So, I left...

And while I do have an occasional pity party, I spend most days being very grateful to share these days with my kids. We're only on day 3 of our summer adventures and I'm loving getting to explore the Nashville area with Clinton and through his eyes.

I find it interesting that he's very shy with other children initially (much like I was). I think it is amazing how curious he is. And I love to watch him get excited about seeing a fire truck he can play on, or a horse in a field, or whatever it is that has caught his attention.

I love that it's me that gets to witness all this...and I feel bad for Rodney, who's always working.

Yesterday we went to a nearby town and explored their Discovery Center with my friend Kelly and her son, Noah. It started off with a story time and craft for the little ones (which Clinton did not partake in) and then the kids were free to explore (which Clinton was already doing). Kelly and I were amazed at all the fun things for the kids to do. Clinton and Noah had an awesome time. See the 5,000 pictures below for proof.

Checking out the wall of model cars. Clinton kept trying to break the latch so he could get one out. He just didn't understand why he couldn't play with them.


In the mechanic shop working on the car. This was such a cute setup and Clinton loved it. The drill-thingy made real noises and the tool box was full of tools for working on the car.



At this station, there were all the pieces and connectors to build your own car. I did most of the building, but Clinton loved putting the wheels on.


A little girl who quickly figured out none of this was about her and then slept the rest of the time...whew!


Clinton and Noah discussing who was going to fly the helicopter.


Of course, Clinton loved this room! He kept saying, "I see me." Which actually means, "You show me." He says this when he can't see and has to be picked up.


Checking out the train wall. Again, Clinton tried breaking the latch.


A real life-size train to drive. It had all kinds of buttons and whistles...Clinton's dream come true. It also had a coal truck attached full of "coal". And nearby was a cave full of the "coal" for kids to shovel into little wheel barrows and then bring over and unload into the coal truck. Clinton let the other kids do all the work while he drove the train.



The always popular train table. They had the track on this one screwed down....great idea!


The awesome water table. You could build fountains, learn about flooding, and see fishes in the bubbles.




Clinton and Noah checking out the turtles.


Clinton telling Miss Kelly that a turtle bit him. Sure it did.


Changing a tire is fun!


A real fire truck to play on! They had a 1950's truck the kids could "drive" along with real firemen gear they could wear...it was really cute and kept Clinton from being able to sit for story time.


Making sure to push the pedals and steer... scarily observant!





Clinton found a little girl, Addison, that he liked playing with!



Noah and Kelly actually doing the craft while Clinton ran amuck.




Today we went to the Belle Meade Plantation for Plantation Station. They had a farm animal story time and then did a craft. Clinton needed a little "help" staying in his seat for the story, but was happy to do the craft (gluing wool and hay on a picture of a sheep). And he loved the "racing" piggies. He was the first to jump out and start petting them...he just loves animals!



We were lucky enough to see the horses today, apparently they're not always here. Clinton was so excited about walking over to see them, but then spent literally 30 seconds looking at them then turned to me and said, "Kay...wet's go. Byyyyye wheese (horse)"


Check back to see about our upcoming activity on Friday! It should be interesting...

Thankful for Children's Programs,

4 comments:

Kathy said...

How fun!! You guys are busy!! I do remember when Garrett was born we did alot more getting out of the house and doing things. He lived strapped to me while Courtney and I lugged him around everywhere. Somehow it was easier than staying home.

Anonymous said...

Ahhh....I love that picture of Heidi. Looks like ya'll are having fun. Good luck keeping up with Clinton:)

Alicia said...

Holy cow, you are a busy Momma. I am sure Clinton is loving every bit of your everyday activities. You are so good to blog as often as you do.

Love the bow on Heidi...too cute!

Kelly Russell said...

Noah and I had so much fun with you guys! We will have to get together again soon now that family is gone.