Saturday, June 13, 2009

Mud Pies

Yesterday the kids and I ventured out to West Nashville for a little event called Mud Pies. It was a really neat program at a really neat park...but Clinton just wasn't sure about it all.

I have found that my son like to make the mess, he just doesn't like to be the mess. He can make any room look like a tornado hit it--whether it's a box of cereal all over the floor, a box of wipes strung across my living room, or every toy he owns dumped in the middle of the foyer. But as soon as he becomes the mess, cleaning is imminent. If he gets marker on his skin (which he does because he colors his arms as his father showed him to do), then it's an immediate wipe down with baby wipes. If he gets grass on his bare feet outside, he immediately runs in and demands shoes on his feet. If his clothes get dirty outside, he tells me "dut, dut" until I change his clothes. And if he gets dirt on him, then he insists on washing his hands with soap and water.

So, I wasn't really sure how the mud pie event would go. It started with a 1/2 hour on the mud playground. Clinton stuck to the outskirts. He just wasn't sure about all the dirtiness. We'll probably try the playground again another time to see if he warms up to the idea.

It was then followed by a 1/2 hour in the creek, which Clinton loved. He loves to play in water, so this was a hit. They had a couple of people there to help the kids find cray fish, water bugs, salamanders, and snakes. The snakes freaked me out, so I held Clinton back during that.

And we finished by making mud pies. They had all the containers for the pies. There was a large tub of dirt/mud. A big bucket of water. And a sheet with lots of mud pie decorations (ie - leaves, sticks, rocks, baby pine cones). Clinton would only do it if I helped and really just preferred to play in the big bucket of water.

We wrapped up the day by stripping Clinton down in the back of the truck and wiping him down with baby wipes before changing him into clean clothes.

All in all, it was a success and it was FREE!









Gettin' dirty,

2 comments:

Brandi Burden said...

I love the video! It's so cute how Clinton ran away like he didn't want a drop of mudd on him. Love it!! That wouldn't be the case with Payton. She would have it all over her just like she does with every meal she eats. Anyways, that place is SO neat! I love seeing all of yalls summer adventures!

Anonymous said...

He obviously didn't get that from our family, as we're get your hands dirty kind of people....must be a Williams trait that he got from Rodney. I think Brian wishes that I was like that because then I wouldn't have paint under my nails when it was time to go out to dinner. He usually suggests that I should wear gloves when I work:)