Saturday, May 17, 2008

Going Granola? - Change 2

Okay--I'm not even sure if my title is appropriately worded, but it sounded good to me. I have headed up a few changes in our household that I am happy to see are being followed by my boys. Of course, Clinton has no choice in the matter because he has to do what I'm doing...so really, I'm proud of Rodney.

The ongoing debate of whether or not the Earth is melting is hitting us from all sides. I'm not here to claim which side is right, I'm just here to say..."WHAT COULD IT HURT IF WE TOOK CARE OF WHAT GOD GAVE US?" One of the dumbest things I've ever heard in regards to the global warming debate actually came from one of my own relatives. He/She said, "God created this world knowing what we were going to do it. Anything we do to the earth, it can sustain." Interesting theory. Here's my argument...God created our bodies knowing that at some point in time we would be bombarded and obsessed with things like McDonald's, Krispy Kreme, etc. And while we have consumed these things with the idea that our bodies can sustain anything, our country faces an epidemic of obesity. So again I say...."WHAT COULD IT HURT IF WE TOOK CARE OF WHAT GOD GAVE US?"

Well, here is what I have started doing to change the ways of my family to be more Earth-friendly. I encourage you to take a few small steps, too.

-We're Recycling! I know, I know...something I should have been doing for years now. Well, don't come down on me too hard because we're now on board. And I tell everyone I know that's not, how easy it is and that they should join in. The reduction is trash in amazing and visiting the recycling center is a great little field trip for me and Clinton when we need to get out of this house but Daddy has banned us from Target!

-We're Walking! We live in a great neighborhood that conveniently has our bank, pharmacy and grocery story within two miles...and sidewalks all the way from our house to the store! So, when it's not raining (which has been rare these days), Clinton and I load up the wagon and "run" our errands. This helps on several different levels...I can't buy as much because the wagon doesn't hold as much as my truck and I have to plan better because I don't want to forget something and have to walk back! Clinton is a big hit at the grocery store in his wagon! Thanks again to Bebe and Pop for such a practical purchase!

-We're Toting! We've purchased a few canvas totes from our grocery and now take those with us each time we go to the store so we don't have to use the plastic bags. They're great. At about a dollar each (and I've only had to buy 4), they hold more groceries and are easier to carry. They're also great for the wagon because the sides stand up better.

-We're Green Cleaning! We have converted to "green" household cleaners. This was actually a decision I made a while back more for the benefit of my child. I felt the harsh cleaners we're probably damaging all of us if my lungs we're burning after cleaning the bathroom. So we use the Method cleaners (found at Target and Lowe's) and the Greenworks cleaners (found everywhere). Method is awesome. I really like the scents the cleaners come in. One day we may go so far as to make our own cleaners, but that's not today...or tomorrow.

-We're Lighting the House! ...with energy efficient bulbs, of course. Now don't get all excited we have not converted all the bulbs yet. We are doing it slowly as they burn out one by one. For two reasons...one, it's expensive to do a massive conversion; and two, it would be wasteful not to use what we already have!

-We're Hangin' with the Farmers! Okay..we're really just going to the Farmer's Market. This is not only for healthier and fresher produce, but to support local agriculture and to reduce the use of gas by buying foods that are already here instead of having to be shipped here. It's also another great field trip for our little man. He loves it because they have a band that plays and because lots of people bring their dogs and Clinton likes to point out each and every one and say, "Ooh...ooh...ooh!"


Here are a few things in the pipeline for consideration...

-Cloth Diapers!? Seriously, still in the consideration mode here. This may actually inspire me to just try potty training sooner! Maybe we'll start this with the next baby!

-Hybrid Fever. As I drive my V8, 4x4, 15mpg truck costing me an average of 22 cents per mile, I can't help but be jealous of those little Hybrids zipping around at a rate of probably 5 cents a mile...I'm guessing. If funds are available when it's time for our next car, I'll be purchasing me a hybrid crossover.

-Gardening. I would love to start my own garden. But like any project I take on, I have to do it slowly or I get overwhelmed and give it all up. So baby steps it is. I bought a blueberry bush the other day for Clinton and I to take care of this summer. We'll see how that goes, and then we'll see if we can't start making some plans for a garden for next year. My biggest obstacle is figuring out how my garden and my dog can share one backyard together. Because plants typically like to stay rooted to produce, and my dog likes to dig up anything that's not grass.

-Alternative Power. Our neighbor has ordered an electric lawn mower. I'm curious to see how that works and maybe purchase one for us. Rodney's still a little skeptical, but we shall see. For now, we've bought Clinton a bubble-powered mower and we're letting him handle the yard. ...even the ladies of the neighborhood have started to take notice.








If you have any other ideas of things we can start trying, please post a comment and let me know. And AGAIN, I encourage you to try as many GREEN things as you can. Remember...God is watching us. ;-)

Stay Tuned for Our Next Post - COMMITTED - Change 3

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Love the lawnmower. I am also starting to like the long hair. It looks like we've gotten past the point where he has wings. It's very cute:)

Jen said...

so inspiring! Great job!! Recyling is not convenient (i.e. free curbside pickup) here. It really takes commitment. You really have inspired me to start recyling again...and to start doing some of the other things you mentioned. I've had so much fun catching up on your blog. Clinton is so blessed to have you as a mommy!

Mama Jeannie said...

Courtney, what a great entry. (I'm just now catching up with you in this 'blog world', so who knows if you will look back to read my comment.) Your answer to whoever said God knew how awful we'd be to the earth He has blessed us with and that He'd sustain us anyway.... well, your parallel w/McDonald's, etc. was superb I thought. God has called us to be good stewards of His generous hand toward us, hasn't He? I do see where a balance has to be in place however... to be wise, but not paranoid about what is before us. God will take care of us regardless of what happens around us. You have inspired me to care more and do more to take responsibility of what God has blessed me with. I wish we lived where walking everywhere was convenient. That was one thing I absolutely LOVED about Spain. Everyone walked or rode buses everywhere and bought fresh produce almost daily. We literally saw only one obese person the whole trip and he was probably a tourist. The only other fat people we saw were... well... us. So sad.