Thursday, September 04, 2008

My Funny Little Man




Okay, I promise not to document every single day of Clinton's pre-school career...BUT I do have pictures from his second day of school today and a couple of funny things to mention.

I have to say, I am very proud of Clinton. He's very independent and very social...two qualities I think will serve him well in life....and make him just like his father. Clinton gets so excited about school. He has already made the connection between his lunch box and school.

Note to self--don't let him see it until it's time to get in the car to go to school.

Today he once again proudly carried his lunch box to school. Being the big boy that he is, he wanted to walk across the parking lot himself...which took FOREVER because he wants to walk up to every single car where someone is getting out with a child....which is every car. We finally got in the building and still grinning from ear to ear and giddy with excitement, Clinton turned the corner and headed down the hallway to his classroom. When we entered there was one kid in the back screaming because his mother had already left and one kid being peeled off of his mother as he was kicking and screaming. And I'm thinking, "Oh, crap...I bet Clinton's next." I was wrong. He sat his lunch box at my feet and took off. I got his things put away and was going to sneak out without him seeing me. As I was sliding out the door, he turned and saw me and headed my direction. I was certain tears were about to start falling and I was going to have to feel guilty for the rest of the day...instead, he walked up to the big window, flashed a HUGE cheesy grin and waved bye-bye to me. As I waved back he began to laugh as if to say, "Thanks for brining me, mom. I'll see you later." Sniff, sniff.

Okay, and the other funny thing is one of those classics I'll get to tell his girlfriends later in life. Today I heard Clinton "break into" Rodney's office and I started calling his name trying to lure him out until I get over there and drag him out. I heard him come out, but through the bathroom which opens to the office and also out into the hallway. Usually, his ventures in the bathroom are noisy--cabinets opening and closing, magazines thrown across the floor, and the occasional spin of the toilet paper roll. But today it was silence. The eery silence that always emerges when Clinton is up to no good and knows it. As I turned the corner to come down the hall I could see him standing in front of the toilet. But I could only see him from the waist down--there was no head or torso to be found...until I got closer. He was bent over into the toilet very carefully lowering his head into the water just enough to get his hair wet. This is the second time this has happened, but the first time I have witnessed it. I was laughing so hard I was having a really hard time of getting the point of "NO!" across. Geeze, Louise.

Oh, and one other moment of eery silence emerged this morning while I was packing Clinton's lunch. I found him hunched down in the living room with my eyeliner he had gotten out of my bathroom and he had drawn all over his face. Quite observant on his part, I think.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

So is his hair wet from the toilet still?

Courtney said...

No! I had "styled" his hair before school, so it's wet in the pictures from that. He didn't take a dip into the toilet until later that afternoon.

Anonymous said...

Funny Child!!! I already knew the story but the post still made me laugh out loud. I think Brian should consider taking some styling tips from Clinton because he has fabulous hair without any products:)

Mama Jeannie said...

What a cutie and aren't you blessed that leaving him at pre-school was such a breeze?!!! Wish every child could be so confident and peaceful. You are really really blessed. The story about the toilet and the hair was priceless. However, not to put a damper on how funny it was, but (this is my grandmama's heart coming out I guess) please be careful of that. I have heard of small children who tipped over into the toilet and were not able to get out. So tragic. I'm sure it's not likely, but no need to take a chance. There are child-proof gadgets for toilet seats I've heard.