Sunday, December 07, 2008

MIL Update

My mother-in-law was moved today from ICU to a regular room since the bleeding in her brain has stopped. Rodney said her memory and clarity comes and goes, but my understanding is that is normal when recovering from a stroke. Rodney just left to go back up there and spend the night in her room. The nurse called and Cathy needed someone she knew to be there. Up until tonight visiting hours were quite restricted because she was in the ICU.

In my initial post I had said she had a blockage in her brain, but in fact she has a bleed. Unfortunately, Rodney and I are not well versed in medical terminology, but it seems maybe a bleed is better than a blockage. She takes Cumitin (sp?) for a blood clotting disorder, but apparently her blood got too thin. It seems her blood pressure was up, causing a blood vessel to burst in her head and the thinned blood was unable to clot on its own. Again, this is all second hand information...and I'm not the best at processing the happenings inside our bodies.

All we know from today's CAT scan is that the bleeding has stopped. We still don't have any idea about her current hospital stay or the long-term prognosis we're looking at. Please continue to keep Cathy in your prayers.


1 comment:

Samantha said...

I am so sorry to hear about your MIL...we will be thinking about you guys. Hope you and Rodney and the rest of his family are holding up.