Friday, October 31, 2008

Happy Halloween????

This morning I only had time to post these pictures, but now for the story...

I feel like I should go back to yesterday morning because that's when the initial event took place that prompted me to keep my cool and take pictures this morning.

Yesterday, I left Clinton in his bean bag to watch cartoons and drink his milk while I went to get dressed. We were already running late and I was trying to hurry because I didn't want Clinton to be late for school. In the midst of scurrying around my room I heard Clinton moving around and thought I'd just run and check on him real quick to make sure he hadn't found a pair of scissors or some other dangerous object. Instead I walked in to find the pantry doors opens, an empty oatmeal canister at my feet, and before me was an ENTIRE kitchen floor covered in oatmeal. He didn't just pour it in one spot, he poured it over the entire kitchen. My patience was already running on E, and I immediately started sweeping it up while telling Clinton, "No, no!" He responded with his own "No, no" and "Eh, eh". He then ran into the living room, retrieved his stuffed horse (which is as big as he is), and started trying to create piles of oats for his horse to eat. He was doubly disappointed when the horse wouldn't eat the oats. Needless to say, he cried as I cleaned up the piles and his horse refused to eat the oats. I was pretty impressed that he knew to feed his horse oats because this is something he learned from a video...and he knew what oats were because the day before he ate a handful of them and I had to explain that oats are yuck. Anyway, the point of this story was that I was later mad at myself for not taking pictures...so when this morning happened, I kept my cool and got a few photos...

This morning happened right under my nose. I was busy in the kitchen trying to make rice krispie treats and cupcakes among other things for the Halloween party we were hosting tonight. While at the same time, trying to talk on the phone and keep an ear on Clinton. But as usual, when he's up to no good there's no noise for the ear to hear... I had gotten the food color out to dye my marshmallow cream orange...and left the box of colors sitting too close to the edge. I had everything scattered everywhere and Clinton had been trying desperately all morning to just get his hands on something....anything. So, while my back was turned he snuck quietly into the kitchen, spotted the small box, grabbed it off the edge of the counter, pulled out the darkest color (blue), and snuck quietly out. After collecting all the evidence, it seems he first went to my favorite chair. The chair I carefully selected and chose the fabric for...and spent too much money on. There is where he figured out how to remove the lid to the food color...and there is where he first began to spill the dye--drop by drop onto my beloved chair cushion. I believe what probably happened next was that he started freaking out about how it was spreading and coating his hands. He then crawled out of the chair, leaving some tiny blue on the arm rest and came to return the bottle but letting it drip from the chair, through the living room, around the breakfast table and into the kitchen. The first sound I heard out of him was "Eh, eh" which caused me to turn around to find him trying to get the bottle back into the box...I guess to pretend that it never happened. To say I freaked out would be an understatement. I was on the phone with Heather when it happened and I'm sure all she heard was, "Oh, no. OH, NO...Clinton, what have you done? Oh, you're all blue. Oh, the floor is blue...OMG. Heather, I gotta go." Click.

I was able to collect myself enough to start taking pictures and regain my composure. He's just one...he had no idea what he was doing.

Luckily, sealed hardwood floors are pretty easy to clean and they don't absorb, so all the color came off of the floor...although I keep finding spots here and there. And you can't wipe it because it spreads the color across the floor, you must blot it. The chair cushion is only damaged on one side, so for now I can just flip it. I'm going to go see about ordering a new cover from the store where I bought the chair. The pajamas still faintly show the spots. And there are still remnants of blue on Clinton's eyes, the sides of his face, in his hair, up and down his legs and on his hands. Google says to give it a week.

As I was trying to scrub blue out of his skin my friend Kelly called to see if I wanted to go work out which I quickly responded, "NO!". I told her what I was in the middle of and she jumped on Google to start looking for solutions. Clinton was excited about a mid-morning bath but began to crawl out as the water around him started to get darker and darker blue. He's crying in the last picture partly because he didn't want his photo taken and I think partly because the blue was really starting to scare him. We had to go to Target shortly after the incident and he got quite a few stares. I just acted like nothing was wrong with him. Maybe they thought it was a really bad costume!







7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well Courtney, that's one way to get "blue" water without having to go to the beach!! Too funny!

Amanda said...

I can't help but laugh out loud! He looks so upset in that last pic, but he's so darn cute that it's funny (the blue lips are great!). You have to share the story on this one!!!

Emily said...

Oh My Goodness!!! I can't wait to hear the story.

Anonymous said...

That is too funny. Sorry to hear about your favorite chair. I hope it all works out. I would have been freaking out, but it sounds like you remained fairly calm.

Whitney Bownds said...

omg.. that is awful and totally hilarious.. you can't take your eye off of them for one second.. just wait until he has a little accomplice (sp?)... something similar has or will happen to all of us with children or husbands..haha.. but it's so much funnier when it's someone else.. thanks for the laugh..
i hope you all are doing well..

The Mezger Family said...

Sorry about your chair. After reading your story I immediately went and moved our food coloring, which was on a low shelf in our pantry where Bailey could get it. BTW I love the striped stockings!

Kristi J said...

That is soooo funny...wait until you're chasing after two...the days only get more exciting, ha Enjoy it..it will all be over before you know it...How old is he now??kj