Tuesday, October 28, 2008

I Haven't Forgotten...Completely

As I mentioned, the second pregnancy is much different than the first...I'm so busy with what I've got going on that I'm not constantly thinking about being pregnant like I was with Clinton. With Clinton, I was consumed with thoughts about being pregnant. I was so concerned with everything that I ate, following all the rules, avoiding ALL caffeine, and forever rubbing on my belly dreaming about the baby inside. Now, I'll be halfway through my salad before I remember I'm not supposed to be eating feta cheese. I have to have at least one small cup of coffee to make it through the morning after only getting 6-7 hours of sleep constantly interrupted by trips to the bathroom. And I often have to remind myself that the reason I feel so drained and have trouble making complete thoughts, is not that I'm going crazy or falling apart but that I'm creating a life (with a lot of help from the big guy upstairs) and it takes a lot of energy!

So while I'm not giving weekly updates about the pregnancy as I did with Clinton, it's not that I've really forgotten that I'm pregnant...it's just that I'm tired and consumed with a lot of other things going on around me at the moment....which is making the process go by a lot faster.

So are you anxious for an update? Well, here it is. Rodney and I went to the doctor Thursday. Everything looked good and the heartbeat was at 155. And most importantly, they were finally able to get blood out of my veins! My last two visits have ended with unsuccessful, MULTIPLE attempts to draw blood for all the tests they run. I'm usually not bothered by needles, but the last time they hit a nerve in my arm and I about came unglued...so this attempt was a little nerve wracking. Fortunately, my favorite tech was in and was able to get a good vein on the first try...yeah!! And the best news was I'm halfway through my pregnancy (almost) and I've only gained 5 pounds. I realize a lot of the weight comes at the end, but I'm willing to celebrate tiny victories while I can.

All I know now is that this baby moves ALL the time. It's like the baby knows I need to be reminded that I'm pregnant!! I'm at 18 weeks. I'm still having problems with my sciatic nerve, but my chiropractor offers much needed relief every week. I SO look forward to my visits with her!

Ok, so Rodney and I have differing ideas of what we think we're having. I think we're having a girl, and these are the reasons why:
-Skin blemishes throughout the entire first trimester
-Migraines
-Nausea that continues to creep back
-Extremely emotional
-No real cravings to food, just aversions
-Heartburn (didn't have this w/Clinton so I'm guessing this means it's a girl even though people usually say it means the baby has a lot of hair)

Why Rodney thinks it's a boy:
-Slower heart rate

Feel free to cast your vote in the poll to the right.

Neither of us has a preference. We feel like if it's a boy, then Clinton will have a brother close to his age which I think is special seeing how close my sister and I are now. And if it's a girl...well, then I can have a bows and ruffles frenzy! Either way we're perfectly happy.

Hope I've remembered everything...doesn't really matter...I'm going to bed anyway. Hopefully, I'll remember to update again before April 1!

Could this be part of what's keeping me so busy? Probably so...probably so. More to come on this...



1 comment:

Samantha said...

I voted that baby is a girl.

Although, I had two completely different pregnancies and had two boys, so who knows!!