Friday, July 04, 2008

Score One for Mommy

Have I ever mentioned how much I love Publix? Now don't get me wrong, it's no H-E-B Central Market, but it's still one of my favorite groceries. They always have what I want and if they don't, they order it for me--and don't think I won't ask them to order things for me!

Now, Rodney often comments on how much I spend at the grocery, but I like to use a lot of fresh and organic ingredients--thus a large grocery bill! Not too long ago Rodney asked if we could start eating cheaper food....and I said, "No...but if you're concerned about our bill then we'll just start eating less....but I'm not going to start feeding my family a bunch of chemicals and foods with high fructose corn syrup or white flower or animal fats or MSG or nitrates etc. etc. etc." I think he then realized how much effort I put into buying and preparing healthy meals and snacks for us--just one more thankless job of a mommy! :-)

So, anyway...I was at the beloved Publix and came through the seafood department. They had organic extra large shrimp as a buy one get one free special. I love these--they usually have about 10 of these specials every week and I stock up on the things we use. We eat a lot of shrimp--and this was the organic stuff! I noticed each bag was $22. I debated--it was a good deal, but was still going to add over $20 to my grocery bill. Since we eat a lot of seafood, I decided to go for it. After I paid, I noticed my receipt ran the shrimp up for $27. After inquiring with the checker girl, I was helped by two managers who discovered it was their mistake...little did I know what great news this was for me! Since it was their mistake, I get the first item free and then pay the corrected price for any additional items. Since it was already BOGO, then I got both of the bags for half of the price of one bag...that's $44 worth of shrimp for $11.

I called mom and Chels, neither of which was very excited for me...so you may not be very excited reading this...and that's fine. Who was excited, though, was Rodney--he saw big savings on his grocery bill! Go me.

2 comments:

Kathy said...

YAY!!! I'm the coupon queen around here, so I can appreciate this story. I LOVE to score a good deal.

Anonymous said...

That is really exciting. I am always comparing what the shelf says to my receipt because I know the supermarket trips and with tax now 10.25% I double check all non-food items.