Wednesday, November 12, 2008

Singin' the Shoes Blues

There have been a lot of things about this pregnancy that have been different than the last, but most notably--and painfully--is a really bad case of sciatica. Click here for more details on this lovely pregnancy side effect. Some days are better than others, but most days are less than desirable.

When searching--and I mean REALLY searching--for the silver lining, I'm able to come up with a couple of good things to emerge from the situation at hand. (1) I can't do any kind of serious house cleaning. One night I mopped all the floors and literally could not stand up straight to walk from Clinton's room to mine. So serious house cleaning is out. Not that I did a lot anyway, but now it's justifiably out. (2) Clinton has learned to do a few things for himself because I must pick and choose when to pick him up...if I pick him up every time he wants, my back would be out before lunch. So, I have to ration my weight lifting throughout the day. Clinton can now get in and out of the tub all by himself. He follows me into the kitchen for his morning bottle rather than me carrying him until he's completely awake. And he can even get out of the car by himself (with some helping hands) after I unbuckle his seat belt.

But there are still some tears being shed on my part. Aside from some occasional excruciating pain, I've discovered one contributing factor to my sciatica that really breaks my heart. It seems I won't be able to wear my heels for the rest of my pregnancy...sniff, sniff. I'm a lover of heels and wore them throughout my entire pregnancy with Clinton...and even after he was born and I was toting around his carrier everywhere. I love heels not only because they make me feel sassy, but also because they make EVERY woman look thinner...and what better time to need to look thinner than when you're packin' on the pounds?? I'm having a hard time letting them go...even with the pain they cause. BUT, it seems I'll be trading in my stilettos for ballet slippers and my power boots for tennis shoes...how can I possibly go on? ;-)

"Grounded" til April,

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Ballet shoes
are more like slippers than shoes. They are a closed-toe shoe that slips on and do not have any sort of heel to them. They usually fit snugly and are padded on the bottom so that you do not (or should not) hear the dancer's movements while they are performing on stage.