Friday, March 28, 2008

No TV? How do you know which direction to point the furniture?

I mentioned several posts ago that my parents don't have TV. I have since received a couple of comments and a couple of phone calls wondering how this could be!? I should rephrase. They have a TV, but no cable...and out here no cable means no channels. Absolutely none. Zilcho. Bunny rabbit antennaes get you nothing.

This is something my Grammy and Grampy have also chosen to live with. I, too, have toyed with the idea, but not everyone in my household is on board yet...and I haven't fully committed myself to the idea, either. I'm having a hard time with the idea of permanently letting go of my beloved real and not-so-real characters from American Idol, Private Practice, Boston Legal, Eli Stone, Notes from the Underbelly, The Hills, Chelsea Lately, and The Office. (I wonder what that list of shows reveals about me.) And how would we get through the morning without Mickey Mouse Club House and Handy Manny? ...and, of course, the grand-daddy of them all--FOOTBALL SEASON.

I've been here two weeks, and haven't really missed my shows or Clinton's morning cartoons...so I'm starting to think we could do it. It's amazing how much more you can get done without something tying you down to the couch. AND this is the reason my families opts to not have TV...cable.

So, what is the TV for then? ...you ask. Well, it's for DVDs...and I have seen Happy Feet 237 times since I've been here. But Clinton loves it. He dances to the music and claps for the penguins. And I believe my mother has probably seen every movie ever made...but she doesn't watch "TV". Hmmm.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have thought about how much more productive I would be if I didn't have a TV, well 2 TVs for that matter. I don't think I could ever do it. You could always watch TV shows on the Internet or when they come out on DVD, but then they are still taking up your time so might as well watch them when they are new so no one spoils them for you. I enjoy reading and always have a book going, but for me TV is just like a book; it is entertainment that allows me to escape into someone else's world. And yes, let's not forget the grand-daddy of them all. I could never give up FOOTBALL SEASON. Let's face it we are from the South and that's what we do. We live football season and we are genetically programmed to spend an entire Saturday watching it; at least it has one of the shortest seasons of any sport. While I don't have children, I don't think I will allow them to really watch television when I do have them because the cartoons now are inapprpriate. I think I will reserve TV for the adults because we are not as impressionable as children. However, after having babysat since I was 12, I can say that cartoons can be a mom's best friend at times so I plan on buying DVDs of the shows I think are acceptable (ie. no excessive burpring, farting, language, violence, etc.). I think my children will grow up on the Jetsons, the Flintstones, and Scooby Doo. Anyway, in spite of all this rambling I am trying to say that you have a good point, but I don't think I could ever give up TV, but I applaud those who can. Oh as a side note, some movies are just as bad as TV so I think giving up TV but still watching movies is cheating.

Samantha said...

Nope, definitely not ready to give up TV!

Anonymous said...

I have given up tv in the past. It's actually not that difficult. However, whenever I moved back to Dallas, I needed internet but did not want a home phone (who has those anymore?) and it was actually cheaper for me to get internet with cable than any other way. So, I now have cable. I'm pretty sad as my favorite weekly show is Dancing With The Stars. I also enjoy Boston Legal when I get to watch it.

Mama Jeannie said...

Here-here on staying off the couch and doing something... anything other than keeping our eyes and ears and emotional satisfaction glued to that ball and chain called the TV. I mean, I enjoy watching it for a little while and truly have gotten caught up in American Idol and Biggest Loser. I enjoy some HGTV on Sunday mornings before church and you can be sure ESPN resonates through our living room on a regular basis as well. However, if the thing is on for too long, a heaviness of heart comes over me, I am not productive and my husband and I don't talk to each other. Not to mention the literal headaches I get from knowing I'm missing out while giving in to the TV temptation thing. I'm all about sitting out on the porch with a good cup of cofee, good conversation and taking in the beauty of God's creation. Our latest joy is watching a little hummingbird we lovingly call 'Butch'. Almost exactly at a quarter to 7:00 every morning, Butch comes to play in the fountain that bubbles up outside the screened porch window. We jokingly call it Butch's jacuzzi. The world is so full of glorious things if we'll only pull ourselves away from that bad news, gossipy, and yes... most of the time, immoral and Godless box that speaks fantasy and lies into our homes. Believe me, my toes are hurting right now at the sound of my own words just as much as anyone else's. Lord help us all!! If we don't give up TV entirely, let's all try to use some self-control and discretion for Pete's sake! :0)