Monday, April 14, 2008

Where There's a Will, There's A Child Completely Oblivious to Discipline

As mentioned in previous posts, genetics seem to be playing a major part in Clinton's blossoming personality. Our latest adventure in parenthood is learning how to apply discipline, so that we don't end up being the parents whispered about among the social circles...Can you believe how out of control their son is? Why don't they get him under control? Don't tell Courtney about our next playgroup, we prefer her wild child not wreck our house. Yes, I can hear it now.

What could we possibly need to discipline Clinton for? Well, first and foremost for his safety. If we see Clinton is about to hurt himself, we yell "NO!" and then he hurries up to get it done before we can get to him. If we go after him to stop him, he runs because he thinks we're playing chase which is his favorite game. Secondly, we want our child to be well-behaved. At home, Clinton spends all day literally running from one place in the house to the next. He runs to the drawers in the kitchen and empties out all the pots and pans. He runs around in his play room knocking over his basketball goal and dragging it across the room, and turning the end tables over, crawling up on them, and jumping off...I broke my arm TWICE as a small child doing something very similar. However, he stayed in the church nursery yesterday and stayed with Heather for a few hours today, and both gave me great reports about how well-behaved and calm he was. WHAT!?!? At church he passed out toys to all the other kids, after eating everyone else's goldfish. At Heather's he was calm and collected the entire time I was gone. When I returned, so did he...screaming and squeling, running from room to room, pulling plants out of pots, and trying to sit on Heather's baby, Dalby.

All day, it's non stop. And if I have to hear myself say, "No, no!" one more time, I might lose my mind...at least it feels that way. So, what kind of discipline have we attempted?

Well, we started with hand swatting...Clinton responded with clapping. Ugh. So, at the advice of some very experienced parents with two wonderful children on their resume, I began lightly swatting Clinton's leg. He never even acknowledged me touching him. So, I tried firmly swatting the back of his leg. Still refusing to acknowledge my presence or action, he would take 2 seconds to scratch his leg, roll his lip and then run off to continue whatever it was he wanted to do in the first place. "No, no!" "No, no!" "No, no!" ...this is where genetics kicks in, apparently Rodney and I were both like this. And anyone who knows me and Rodney, knows how strongly stubbornness runs through our DNA.

So, tomorrow we begin "time out". Something I have always thought was for the birds, as I came from a spanking family. But we have a child who is less affected by instant punishment, and needs to be pulled out of the situation completely. I guess each kid really is different.

Wish us luck!

I apologize for no pictures. I left my camera cord at my parents' and I'm waiting for it to arrive in my mailbox.

9 comments:

Emily said...

I feel your pain. Who knew how hard parenting would be. We do a mix of timeout and swatting the leg- timeout works the best for us. Good luck! You seem like such a great mommy, Clinton is a lucky little boy.

Anonymous said...

I'm sorry, but I do have to laugh because I remember you laughing during punishment when we were little kids. I'm sure that this favor will be returned whenever I decide to have kids. Although, if my kids are like me there will be no need for any punishment but "the look", because we all know what a crybaby I am. What can I say? It's genetic;)

Good Luck!!!

Samantha said...

Unfortunately I have absolutely no advice for you because I too have a maniac child whom no type of discipline works on! Let me know if you find something that works.

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...

Has Bebe even sent the camera cord, because I'm ready for some new pics?

Samantha said...

I'm ready for some new posts!!!!

Mama Jeannie said...

Courtney, I just want to let you know that from all I've read and seen on your blog, you are a fabulous mom with so much love and care in you for your child. None of us do it right all the time, but God will make up the difference in our weaknesses. Just hang in there; you, Rodney, and Clinton are gonna make it! I do want to suggest you get a copy of the book Emily mentioned on her latest blog entry, Creative Correction by Lisa Whelchel. The author is connected with Focus on The Family, and though I haven't read her book yet, I have that much confidence in all that I've read or listened to through James Dobson and Focus on the Family Ministries. A couple other good books (you can read them in your spare time - ha) are Dare To Discipline and The Strong-willed Child. Believe me I've had a couple of those. :0) God bless you on the journey.

Anonymous said...

Read this: http://audreycaroline.blogspot.com/

So sad. The family lives in Nashville, the dad is a member of Selah.

Jen said...

I can see I'm well on my way to your current situation. Chase has suddenly become a crazy boy since he's learned to crawl. I'll be interested to hear how time out goes. Hope your workload lightens up soon!!