Well, Clinton and I had an adventurous day...thanks to me and the mind I seem to have lost. We had just run some errands for Rodney and were headed to the grocery store to buy some fresh fruit and vegetables to make Clinton's food--he has really taken a liking to solid food now. So, I did my usual laps around the parking lot looking for the perfect space right next to one of the cart corrals. And there it was...a spot on the very front row, right next to a cart corral, and one perfectly lovely cart waiting just for me. Now that Clinton is 20lbs. (plus the 8-10 pounds from the carseat), I bring the cart to us rather than us to the cart. I got my bag ready and set it beside Clinton. I locked the doors and tucked my keys into the side pocket, as I always do, so I won't have to fiddle with the keys after we're out of the car. I then realized I needed to retrieve that lovely cart. I started around the truck to grab the cart, but noticed a car was trying to pull into the space next to me. I quickly stepped back and shut the door to allow the car into the space. As soon as I did it, I realized the doors were locked and my keys sat in the bag in the back seat next to Clinton. I panicked. Usually a quiet person, wanting no attention on myself, I stepped out of my comfort zone and greeted the lady getting out of the car next to me with tears and the humiliating question..."May I please borrow your cell phone? I've locked my baby in the car." She, of course, had no problems with this. Never having locked a living being in the car, I didn't really know who to call. I began by trying the neighbor who has a key to our house and could retrieve the spare key to my car and bring it to me...not home. As I muttered the words, "Crap, they're not home." The lady looked at me very sweetly and said, "Ma'am, you need to call 911...it's hot out here." Of course, 911. So I called and gave them all the necessary information...location, "crime", name, etc. It wasn't long before all these men in red shirts started pouring out of the grocery. About the same time I could hear over the phone the page 911 was sending out...while also hearing the same thing in parking lot. The men in red shirts were firemen!! Trying to gather some composure, I looked away from the men coming towards me (with the store manager) and noticed just six spaces over sat a very large fire truck...I guess I had failed to notice it through the tears and panick. So, in less than 5 minutes my heroes were there. But wait...what's that I hear?? Oh, just another large fire truck and an ambulance coming up the road with sirens blaring. Isn't it bad enough that the people within earshot know I'm a bad mom? But now the whole parking lot and the whole town has to know?? Anyway, as the entire rescue squad approached my car, they parked (with the lights still flashing) and surrounded my car. I kid you not, I counted 8 firemen surrounding the truck. Meanwhile, Clinton thought there was a party going on. His music was still playing on his Baby Einstein thingy and he was just kicking his feet and talking to all the firemen through the glass. I cried everytime I looked at him, because I felt so bad. With a few firemen tricks, they finally unlocked the doors. From start to finish, my crime lasted less than 10 minutes...in fact, the air was still cold in the truck. So a big THANKS to the Spring Hill Fire Department (who I'm sure doesn't read my blog)....you saved my little prince!
The pictures of Clinton below are mostly of him trying to crawl, but one of him all passed out after his big rescue...he was worn out!




1 comment:
You are so crazy... That could've happened to any of us.. But sounds like you handled it pretty well.. and Clinton may not have permanent emotional scars, so I say, Job well done.. May we all learn from it..
Post a Comment