I appreciate how this quality may serve him well in the future, but I'm struggling as a mother as I try to teach him when and where this is appropriate. He has yet to realize it is not appropriate when playing outside near the street.
He is determined to play in the street, which would be fine if he would stay in our cul-de-sac. But he wants to head out the other direction and take off. So, I'm determined to keep him in the driveway or on the sidewalk. The battle lines are clearly drawn.
I, too, am strong willed. Anyone who may have been gazing out their window yesterday got to witness a war of wills for the record books. There was a lot of raised-voice-instruction, back-breaking lifting of a monster truck with a 2 year old in tow, and some kicking and screaming (by Clinton...and as much as I wanted to I was able to refrain).
I was hoping to take advantage of our perfect picture taking weather and get some cute shots of the kids. Seeing as I was running back and forth between the kids, the cute pics were limited...but a story unfolded.
**************
"Clinton, we're not going in the street, okay? You can ride right here in the driveway or on the sidewalk, but no street, okay?
Okay? Clinton are you listening?"
No response.
"Mom, I don't think he's listening. I'm just sayin'."

"Clinton, you need to stay away from the street. No street, okay?"
"Kay."
He agreed, but it lacked sincerity.

What followed were multiple attempts by Clinton to ride free in the streets. The mommy girl would herd him back, carry him back, or lure him back with threats of going to his room.
She thought she had finally gotten through to him, he WAS staying on the sidewalk, but...
"Oh no, mom! I think brudder is running away!"

"Clinton, come back here. Clinton, you need to turn around. Clinton, get back here now."
No response. Forward motion continuing.
"Clinton, now! You're going to go to your room."
He stopped but only long enough to look back and see how serious the mommy girl really was with her threats. Then he was off again.
"CLINTOOOOOOOOOON!!!" A few snappity snaps of the camera, and the mommy girl was off to retrieve sweet Clinton from the dangers lurking at the end of the street.
After giving the boy a stern talking to, the mommy girl turned the truck around and Clinton headed back to his home sweet home.

However, as he got closer to his house he was feeling defeated. "I must get to the street," he thought, "this mommy lady can't hold me back forever." Really? Want to bet on it, son?
As he approached the driveway he veered left to make his great escape onto the much desired pavement.
"Clinton, that's it! You'll go to your room!" He heard the mommy girl's footsteps nearing the truck.
"I'll show her," he thought. "She can only punish me if I get in the street."
He slowed the truck down and parked it here.

The mommy girl was exasperated. She couldn't punish him because he wasn't in the street, but boy, was he pushing her buttons!
Now on foot, Clinton happily watched the mommy girl's face with a smirk. He had a small victory under his belt. But he just couldn't help himself.
As he and the mommy girl locked eyes, both standing their ground, he eased closer and closer to the street. He could see smoke starting to come out of her ears. "Well, that's pretty cool. Let's see what happens if I touch the street."
With laughter, he quickly turned and darted out into the street. "I think I just heard her head explode! Ha ha ha ha!"
The mommy girl sprinted out, scooped up the boy and carried him straight to his room.
"We do NOT play in the street!!" She shut the door and her heart broke as the little boy fell into a sobbing heap on the floor.
Not 60 seconds later the mommy girl returned to check on her little delinquent and could hear laughter and "Jump! Jump!" coming from Clinton's room. She opened the door to find he had thrown the clean laundry and pillows onto the floor, pulled the covers back and was using his bed as a trampoline.
With a heavy sigh and a heavier heart she shut the door and headed to the kitchen. As much as the bottle of Shiraz on the counter was calling her name, she opted for a glass of iced water and an oatmeal cream pie to help calm her nerves. "Maybe tomorrow," she thought, "Maybe tomorrow will be better."
***************
Surviving the everyday drama,

5 comments:
What a cute mess that boy is!! Love the Heidi pics too!! Payton is also very strong willed. I keep saying shes just teething or it's just a phase. But deep down I know we are going to have trouble ahead. haha
I seem to remember another child who didn't follow rules without an argument:)
Oh girl! You have your hands full!!
Heheheehee, I feel you girl! It only gets better when the little one starts following the big one and you are running ALL OVER THE PLACE!!!
You have your hands full, but you're handling it so well! I'm a little scared of the day that I have to be the disciplinarian! And Heidi looks adorable, as usual. Madie has the same dress!
Post a Comment