People keep asking how we're doing. Have you adjusted? How is she sleeping? Is she a good baby? How is it with four?
Truth is--we're doing great. We have adjusted. Most nights she sleeps all night. She's a great baby. Having four is busy, but it's fun.
Rodney and I have commented to one another several times about how happy we are with four. They love each other. They play well together. While there are frequent tantrums and spats, there is a lot of laughter. And we feel complete.
We have had 11 weeks to get to know the newest member of our family, and now I'd like to share a bit of her with you.
We gave her the name Luella Jean. Our kids all of have family names, with the exception of Heidi, which was my favorite book as a kid. We liked the idea of keeping with a family name, but considered a number of names.
Heidi Sage wanted to name her Sally. We toyed with the idea of changing the spelling to Sallee so that the name "Lee" was included, which is a family name for both me and Rodney...but ultimately it just didn't feel right. Rodney really liked the name Bailey, my Grammy's maiden name...but it has become so popular and Williams is so common, I was afraid there were probably already too many Bailey Williams in the world. Clinton wanted to name her Courtney, he got vetoed for obvious reasons. My dad really wanted me to honor his grandmother, Lee Ola. I considered using Lola, which seemed to be an acceptable variation, but I still wasn't sure I was loving it. I threw two non-family names on the table, Hanalee and Hyacinth; Rodney vetoed these. Rex just called her BAY-beeeeeee.
We kept coming back to Luella. An old name. An uncommon name. And a family name. My great-great grandmother and one of Rodney's great aunts were both named Louella. We didn't know our Louellas, but we didn't think they'd mind if we tweaked the spelling.
Jean is the most meaningful part of her name. My Grammy's name is Jean. She and I have always been quite close. She is an amazing woman with an intriguing life story. She has shared countless stories with me about her troublesome childhood, her adventures of mothering 4, her travels around the world, and her love for God. I've always been blown away by her strength. I hope my Luella Jean faces the world with the same determination my grandmother always has.
Luella's birthday is February 25th. When we scheduled the induction it seemed like a relatively unimportant date. Heidi Sage was born on my other grandmother's birthday. Peggy Rose was born on March 26, 1934. Heidi Sage was born on March 26, 2009. I loved that they shared the same birthday. A few days before Peggy passed away we were talking on the phone and planning for her to come to Tennessee for her and Heidi Sage to celebrate their birthdays together in the spring. I was heartbroken we never got to share that moment with her.
As I was sitting in labor with Luella at the hospital, I received a text from my Aunt Polly. She shared a story with me about Peggy that suddenly made February 25th seem a lot more important, and a little comical. Apparently, Peggy did not like putting her real birthday on things. She had a "fake" birth date. In order to keep her fake birth date consistent, she had a formula. She took her real birthday of 3-26-34 and subtracted 1 from each number to create her fake birthday of 2-25-33...February 25th!
So my sweet girls share with my sweet grandmother both her real birthday and her fake birthday. As I read the text from my Aunt Polly, I began to cry. I was already sad she had never met Rex, but she did know about him and get to see his picture (he was just 10 days old when she passed). It just felt like a sign from my grandmother that she knew about Luella, and in that moment I needed that.
Luella has found her role as 4th child suitable. She is doted on by the kids all day long. When I sit in the recliner with her, there is always at least one other kid in my lap talking to her. Rex always wants to give her hugs and pet her head. Heidi Sage loves to visit with her and sing her songs. Clinton likes to hold her and kiss her head. I love watching them love her. It's a beautiful thing.
All the kids have nicknames. Clinton is Buddy. Heidi Sage is Sweetie, though it should be Sassy. Rex is Boo. And Luella has become Luella Bella. I said it one day, the kids thought it was funny, and it stuck. I hope she likes it!
In the past week she has been working hard at being less of a newborn. She holds her head up really well now and is constantly trying to sit up out of her car seat. She does lots of "swimming" during tummy time. She gives us huge smiles. And she is beginning to giggle and babble.
Her hair has made her popular among strangers. We get stopped...a lot. People like to make comments about her hair and then dive into further conversation. Oh, look at that beautiful baby! Can you believe all that hair? Did you have lots of heartburn? Is this your first? Your FOURTH? You don't look old enough to have four kids. How old are your others? Oh wow, you must be really busy. Uh, duh. And I need to get a move on because Daddy is at home with the other three and I told him I'd be back in 30 minutes...ha ha ha. Ha. Ha.
While there is a part of me that is so excited about never being pregnant or postpartum again, there is another part of me that is sad to see my days with a baby slowly (but somewhat quickly) dwindling. I get excited the nights she decides she needs a midnight snack. It's time we just sit and cuddle. After she eats, I rock her and we usually fall asleep in the recliner together for a little while. I love listening to her tiny breaths. And smelling her baby shampooed hair. And feeling her little hand gripping my finger.
These last few weeks have been great. I wouldn't change a thing. We are so blessed.










No comments:
Post a Comment