Monday, September 28, 2009

Learning Life's Hardest Lessons...

...like--Not every birthday party is MY birthday party.

It's sad but true...and it was a lesson our little Clinton had to learn a couple of weeks ago.

This party was Jack's.



When we celebrated Clinton's birthday back in February, he still hadn't been to enough parties to really grasp what was going on. All he knew (or cared about) was that a choo-choo cake had sat on the table taunting him for 5 whole hours before the guests arrived. After a while he figured out the gifts were for him, but once he found one he loved he was done opening the rest.

NOW Clinton knows what a gift is and he knows he wants to open it. Because hidden beneath the beautiful, colorful paper begging to be ripped to shreds is a surprise toy. And lately Clinton is convinced someone is going to show up and give him a robot truck!? (Dang those Nickelodian commercials!)

He also knows when I tell him we're going to a party he is going to get cake. Since SWEETS is Clinton's favorite food group, he LOVES a party!

I made the mistake of thinking it would be really cute if Clinton decorated our gift for Jack. Actually, it may have been for the best. Clinton was able to learn before the party that it was JACK'S gift.

I wrapped the gift in brown craft paper. I then called Clinton inside to come and color it. He took his markers and carefully colored every side of the paper. As soon as I heard the last marker lid snap back on I also heard paper ripping. "Clinton, no!" A surprised look followed by a I'm-doing-it-anyway smile and then more ripping. "No, Clinton! This is for Jack, not Clinton." "Shack?" "Yes, Jack." This brought out the pitiful pouty lip and a few tears. I taped the paper back together, and then put the gift on top of the China cabinet. Tears, screaming, sobbing...he left nothing out and continued to cut his eyes back and forth between me and the floor as he checked to see the progress his fit was making.

I kid you not for 15 minutes this went on and on. He would follow me from room to room to let me know just how disgruntled he was. BUT as soon as Rodney walked in the door, Clinton ran to him SMILING, grabbed his hand, led him to the dining room, pointed to the gift and said, "Dad! Dat's Shack's!! Not Kenton's. I go Shack's poddy!"

So, lesson learned before we ever got there...but did it stick?

Clinton made sure to show everyone his handy work. And he even let Jack open most of his presents...


...but he couldn't help himself now and again. This face kept me on the edge of my seat wondering when the lesson we had learned was going to wear off. Luckily, Jack got enough toys that he was willing to share.


And truth be told, Jack wasn't nearly as interested in his gifts as he was little Hot Momma Heidi. They were having to force Jack back to the gifts because all he wanted to do was visit with his girl.


One part of the party Jack thoroughly enjoyed was the cake. And did I mention how much Clinton loves cake?


Only Clinton doesn't like to BE the mess! He ate his very carefully.


And while Jack and Clinton were each attacking their cake in very different ways, Heidi was on the prowl with another hunky baby (Michael). They "talked" and looked at each other sharing grins and occasionally reaching out to hold hands. So sweet...but it made Jack a little jealous that cousin Michael was going after his girl....on his Birthday!


I'm proud to say Clinton attended another birthday party this weekend and remembered the protocol. Whew!

Teaching the tough ones,

2 comments:

The Gray Family said...

I think this is one of the cutest posts I've read in a long time! My favorite picture is the one of Clinton eating the cup-cake! ADORIBLE!

From the Old InkWell said...

Hi Courtney, Les showed me your blog. This is such a cute story. The lessons of life are tough! :) Glad to know a fellow blogger. I blog too and love it! marshasmpressions.blogspot.com. Have a great fall day!