Wednesday, December 12, 2007

Whew...that was close!

Tonight Gracie, Clinton and I had quite a scare as we were holding down the fort without Rodney! Our little neighbor, Addie, had come over to play with Clinton. When she left it was raining, so I think she hurried and didn't get the back gate closed good. Well, Gracie discovered it! I don't how long she was actually out...but about an hour after Addie had left, I was walking through the living room and heard a pounce on the front door. Our front door has glass panels, so I could immediately see Gracie soaking wet and in a panic, trying to get in....she rarely wants in!

I immediately panicked because I had no idea she was even out. As I got to the door, I saw a Rotweiler and a Pit Bull coming around the corner looking for Gracie. With Clinton on my hip I tried to get the door unlocked as quickly as possible. The big dogs had spotted Gracie and were headed onto my porch! I got the door cracked a little, but Gracie was already panicked again trying to decide if she was going to make it in or try to make another run for it...she was just running in little circles. I was screaming at her to get in as the dogs charged at us. Just as she got through I slammed the door (almost getting her tail) and hit the pit bull in the face with the Rotweiler right behind.

By then I was shaking. I was furious that the people who live behind us still don't have a fence for those huge dogs and I was scared because a million thoughts had run through my head. What if they get in the house? How can I protect Clinton? If they get Gracie, where is a safe place for me to put Clinton so I can get a weapon and rescue Gracie? Can I even take on those big dogs? What if they get me down, who will help me? What really makes me mad is that we live in a REALLY nice neighborhood...they can afford to get a fence! I know this is not the first incident, so I'm hoping others will be filing complaints.

You just can't have those kinds of dogs out without a leash at the very least. What if that had been a dog that doesn't have Gracie's unbelievable speed? Or worse yet, what if that had been one of the neighborhood kids? Oh...I just can't even let my mind go there....

And in case you were wondering, Clinton thought it was nothing more than pure entertainment for his viewing pleasure. He squealed and kicked his legs through the whole thing! I'll be posting more later on how my child has absolutely no fear....NONE!

1 comment:

Emily said...

That is terrifying. I am sorry that you had to go through that. I DESPISE pit bulls (even more now that I have a kiddo)!! I am glad that you were able to handle everything so well.