This morning I realized how much we truly are ignoring our beloved Gracie Mae. There was once a time when Gracie Mae was the center of our household, and I wondered how I could love a child more than I loved her. Well, I now have a child that I love more than I ever imagined I could love someone....and a dog that I still love the same as before, just with a lot less attention. Sometimes I do still play fetch with Gracie but it's for Clinton's benefit, not for hers. Clinton loves to watch her run after her toy and then gets really excited when she comes running back to us. Anyway, back to this morning...I put Clinton in his Johnny Jump Up hung in the doorway that connects our bedroom to our bathroom. This being his new favorite place, it's where I put him while I shower. So I took my shower singing songs to him the whole time so he would know I was still there. When I got done I got out and saw the saddest, sweetest thing. Gracie had laid her favorite toy at Clinton's feet...I guess in the hopes that maybe he would play with her. Instead Clinton just jumped on the toy and Gracie was sitting and staring at her toy and whimpering as if she had lost all hope of ever getting to play again! I think she realized this morning she was officially demoted. Speaking of demoted, a few weeks ago while at my parents', mother cut in front of me for the bathtub. She also left her email wide open on the computer in the next room. I snuck in and sent an email from her to Chelsea about her new rank in the family.
My Dearest Chelsea,
For years I have treated you as a princess, giving you everything you have ever wanted and more. I have loved you endlessly and served you tirelessly. I hope that all my hard work and love has been appreciated. Please know that all my efforts were not without cost. No, I pushed your poor sister to the side as she tried time and again to win my love. But in spite of all her effort, I chose you time after time. I am sure I have damaged her in some ways, but luckily she is a strong soul and has come out almost completely unscarred. While my love for you was well worth it and definitely genuine, the time has come for me to reevaluate my priorities and I am sorry to say you have been demoted from the top of the list. Clinton is now my number one love and will be getting all of my love and attention. Please do not make this harder on any of us by asking me for money, calling me with your situations, or expecting too many hugs when Clinton is around. I am sure I will be able to give you some attention here and there, but don't push it. I should also point out that since your sister has provided me with Clinton, she will not be demoted from her number 2 spot. Yes, this means you have tied for 3rd with Gracie Mae. I hope you understand and take this like a grown up.
With partial love,
Your Mother
While I often crack myself up, not everyone agrees all with me all the time. Luckily, mother and dad thought it was really funny and Chelsea knew as soon as she read it that it wasn't from her dear mother, but yours truly.
Last Summer in Georgia with my Bek
1 month ago

1 comment:
well, aren't you tacky? you mean thing.. poor chelsea.. and gracie mae.. I think woody is in for a rude awakening as well..
Post a Comment